DiversityInc has named Plano-based Toyota Motor North America as one of its 2021 Top 50 Companies for Diversity®, ranking 7th—up from 10th last year. The DiversityInc Top 50 list, issued yearly since 2001, recognizes the nation’s top companies for diversity and inclusion management.
Toyota is the only automotive manufacturer ranked in the Top 10.
“The past year was unlike any other we’ve faced, yet Toyota’s fundamentals remain the same. Who we are and the way in which we navigate the toughest times are reflected in our core values of acting for others, showing respect for people and the quest for continuous improvement,” said Sandra Phillips Rogers, chief diversity officer and chief legal officer, Toyota Motor North America.
Rogers goes on to say, “These results reflect the strong commitment and collaboration of our employees across the company. We would not be where we are today without their efforts.”
Toyota also was recognized as a top company in six DiversityInc specialty lists including:
- Top Company for Environmental, Social and Governance
- No. 1 Top Company for Board of Directors: Overall board diversity representation, committee diversity and governance, involvement and practices.
- No. 2 Top Company for Executive Diversity Councils: Representation, practices and CEO and executive leadership involvement and accountability.
- No. 5 Top Company for Talent Acquisition: Women of Color: New hire and employee representation, onboarding and employee benefit practices, and diverse candidate requirements.
- No. 9 Top Company for LGBTQ Employees: Score of 100% on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index; Resource Groups for LGBTQ employees; philanthropic and supplier spend with LGBTQ-focused organizations and vendors; and workplace practices, policies and benefits supportive of LGBTQ employees.
- No. 12 Top Company for Black Executives
With more than 1,800 participants, the Diversity rankings are empirically driven and based on 2020 company-submitted data in these six key areas: 1) Leadership Accountability, 2) Human Capital Diversity Metrics, 3) Talent Programs, 4) Workforce Practices, 5) Supplier Diversity and 6) Philanthropy.